Ear Pinning Otoplasty
Proudly serving Denver, Littleton, Highlands Ranch, Centennial, Aurora & Nearby Areas of Colorado
Are you unhappy with your ears? Do you feel as if these stick out too much or are too large? Did you have an ear procedure before and was not satisfied? Then otoplasty might the procedure for you. We understand that not everyone is comfortable with their ears and some are born with deformities that might not only affect your appearance but pose some kind of physical issue. Modern Surgical Arts of Denver can assist you with correcting that. We provide a very simple very effective procedure that many of our patients adore.
We can repair earlobes, ear or both so that you’ll have ears that you appreciate. You can reach out to us right away to ask any questions as it relates to this procedure, other cosmetic procedures or to schedule a consultation with one of our board-certified cosmetic surgeons.
We invite you to view examples our otoplasty case study images.
Read on to learn more about Otoplasty, its benefits, risks and more.
What is Otoplasty?
Cosmetic Ear Surgery, formally known as Otoplasty is a procedure used to change the shape, size, or position of the ears. It can be done surgically or non-surgically. Your certified surgeon will ascertain which is best after assessing your needs. If done surgically, a local anesthetic is normally used then an incision is done in the crease behind the ear or on the back of your ears. A piece of that skin may then be removed and discarded. Afterwards a fold is made in the ear using sutures. Afterwards the edges are sewn back together. The procedure normally goes on for a couple of hours.
Why is an Otoplasty done?
A patient may want to undergo an Otoplasty if:
- Their ears stick out too far from the head
- Their ears are large in proportion to the head
- They are dissatisfied with a prior ear procedure
Other ear problems that can be helped with surgery, including the following:
- Lop ear – when the tip of the ear folds down and forward.
- Cupped ear – a very small ear.
- Shell ear – when the curve in the outer rim, as well as the natural folds and creases, are missing.
- Large or stretched earlobes
- Lobes with large creases and wrinkles
- Surgeons can even build new ears for those who were born without them or who lost them through injury.
An Otoplasty is usually done on both eras to improve symmetry and does not change the location of the ear or affect one’s ability to hear. At Modern Surgical Arts of Denver, we ensure we ascertain your needs or issues before providing the right solution. We are always opened to your concerns so you can freely inform us about what you’d like done. We want you to be the best you.
Risks of an Otoplasty
As with anything in life there are possible downsides to undergoing an Otoplasty. Below are several side effects that you should take into consideration before making the decision to pursue the Juvederm treatment. We like to keep all out patients informed of the risks associated with the cosmetic procedures that we offer, allowing you to make a more informed choice. All clients are encouraged to ask as many questions with regards to the procedure as they deem necessary during the consultation, while our board certified plastic surgeons have years of experience under their belts the following side effects are unavoidable for some of our patients.
- Scarring – the scars are permanent but will be hidden behind or within the crease of the ears
- Asymmetry in ear placement
- Changes in skin sensation
- Problems with stitches
- Adverse reaction to anesthesia
- Partial correction
- Blood clot
- Stiff ears
- Inflammation of the ear cartilage
- Keloid formation
- Prolonged pain
If you notice any of these, it is best to get help right away. We ask during every consultation that you provide us with a thorough medical history so that we can provide the best advice. Sometimes, the pre-existing condition that one might have and not disclose might lead to these risks. So, it is pertinent that every patient is transparent. Please do further research so that you can be healthily informed and be confident with your decision made. You can also reach out to us for a consultation. We are happy to provide information, address your concerns and guide you through the processes.
Preparing for an Otoplasty
We encourage our patients and future patients to prepare for this and any cosmetic procedure. Following these guidelines will assist in getting the best results from the Otoplasty surgery. If you have any concerns regarding below and or doing the information we provide to you during the consultation, we ask kindly that you share these with us so that we can adequately address these.
- During the consultation the surgeon will review your medical history, do a physical examination, and discuss expectations for the procedure. Discussing your goals and letting you know what to expect is a necessary step in preparing for Otoplasty. We want you to be in the know, have realistic expectations and be mentally and physical prepared for surgery.
- You may also be asked to avoid medications such as aspirin and anti-inflammatories. If you issues with these medication types, let your surgeon know right away.
- The surgeon will recommend that you stop smoking. This is normally recommended as smoking interrupts your healing for any procedure. No surgeon wants your healing delayed or inhibited. We want you to heal at a great rate and completely so though ceasing smoking might be difficult for some, it is absolutely necessary to do so.
- You should arrange for someone to take you home after the procedure and stay with you for the night after the surgery.
- Avoid blood thinning medications such as Aspirin, Motrin, Ibuprofen, and Aleve for at least one week prior to the procedure. Blood thinning medications can affect your performance doing the surgery or after. These might cause more bleeding or damage that’s why we recommend you stop taking these. It is always important to consult your doctor before the procedure if you are taking any of these for medical reasons.
What to expect
Before the procedure
An Otoplasty is sometimes done with sedation and local anesthesia; this only numbs a part of the body. In some cases, general anesthesia can be used; this renders the patient unconscious for the procedure. If you find that you are allergic to anesthesia/local sedation, let us know before actual surgery.
During the procedure
The techniques used in an Otoplasty vary depending on the type of correction that is necessary. The technique the surgeon uses will determine the location of your scars. The doctor either makes incisions on the back of, of within the creases of the ears and then removes excess skin and cartilage. They will then fold it into the right position and secure it with internal stiches; additional stitches are also used to close the incisions. The procedure usually takes up to two hours. Many patients have stated the procedure itself doesn’t hurt.
After the procedure
After the Otoplasty the ears will be covered in bandages to provide support and protection and you will most likely experience some level of discomfort and itching.
- Take pain medication as recommended by the doctor
- Keep pressure off of the ears
- Avoid sleeping on your side
- Not rub the incisions
- Not place excessive force on the incisions
- Wear button down or loose-fitting shirts
- Avoid all contact sports or anything that could disturb the area healing
It also might be required that you take a few days off, no longer than 5 days. The doctor will remove the bandages a few days after the procedure and the area may be red and swollen. You want to ensure that you abide to the guidelines. Any deviation might agitate the site or cause further damage. This might also affect your healing. If there’s anything you need clarity on anything, let your surgeon know so that they can clear up these right away.
- Wear a loose headband that covers the ears at night for two to six weeks
- Ask your doctor when it is okay to resume activities such as bathing and strenuous physical activity
After the removal of the bandages an immediate change in the appearance of the ears is seen and these changes are permanent. You might find your ears to now be how you always wanted them to be. Note though having perfectly position and shaped might not be feasible as the ears are naturally unlike that. We want you to gage/manage your expectations, However, you have a change you can be contented with. Our patients are normally delighted with the results. They leave the office more confident and ready to show off your adjusted ears. Though it might be a rare instance, If you are dissatisfied with the results, then a revision surgery will have to be considered.
Modern Surgical Arts of Denver provides the best cosmetic surgeons in the area. They are board-certified and experienced surgeons who have carried many Otoplasty procedures. You can trust you are in good hands when You visit Modern Surgical Arts of Denver. Consulting with us affords you the opportunity with our team and ask any questions are it relates to this process. Our board-certified surgeons are pleased to answer these questions or concerns as well as guide you through the process. We ensure that reassure you and advise you according to your procedure. Our surgeons are professional without being unpleasant, knowledgeable without being unapproachable, experienced with shunning your concerns, even the most eccentric ones.
We understand procedures, especially surgical ones, can be nerve-wracking and so we are always here to help you through it. We want you to have the best experience and do our best to ensure your needs are being met from that very first contact and onwards. Our offices are welcoming and clean. Our support team are very knowledgeable and look forward to speaking with all clients and future clients daily. They are ready and waiting for you call. We are all looking forward to meeting and serving you! Highlands Ranch Office Phone Number 303-470-3400
There are many other procedures with other here at Modern Surgical Arts of Denver, both surgical and non-surgical. You can browse through our website to know more about the other services we offer. If there’s something you‘d like done or prefer a package that will help you enhance your entire face, please let us know so that we can advise you accordingly. We encourage you all to stay happy and healthy.