Proudly serving Denver, Littleton, Highlands Ranch and Nearby Areas of Colorado
Many people are unsatisfied with shape and size of their chin area, whether it is because of a medical condition, genetics, or just self-esteem; this may affect their self-confidence and how they socialize with peers and partake in physical activity. Many patients also become discouraged from going out and may constantly look at others and compare themselves to those people who they think have the perfect facial features.
Fortunately at Modern Surgical Arts of Denver we provide a procedure that can assist patients with just that problem, a chin surgery. This type of procedure is used to reshape the chin with an implant or reduction surgery to the bone in the chin area.
We invite you to view examples our chin surgery case study images.
Before undergoing a Chin Surgery, Modern Surgical Arts of Denver finds it imperative that you, our prospective clients understand what it is best for and what the treatment comprises of.
Below you will find a range of information on the Chin Surgery procedure; this, along with a consultation, will help you to decide if a Chin Surgery is the best option for your needs. You can also visit our offices for a consultation and one of our board certified doctors will be on call and ready to assist.
What is Chin Surgery?
Chin surgery, or mentoplasty, is a surgical procedure performed to reshape the chin either by enhancement with an implant or reduction surgery on the bone.
Candidates for Chin Surgery
A chin surgery is optimal for those who:
- Have receding or weak chins
- Overprojecting chins
- You are physically healthy
- Your expectations are realistic
- You understand the risks that come with surgery
- You are unhappy with the appearance of your chin but have a normal bite
The procedures used inclusive of:
- Chin implantation – this uses synthetic implants to reshape, enlarge, and push the chin forward
- Sliding genioplasty – this moves the chin bone either forward, to help the chin project farther, or back, to reduce a chin that projects too far forward
- Chin shaving – this surgery is used to shave excess chin bone
- Chin fat injection
- Hyaluronic filler injection
After the consultation and making final decision for surgery the doctor will provide you with pre-operative information and the surgical team will instruct you on how to prepare for surgery. You should also arrange for someone to drive you home and help you for a few days after the surgery.
There are certain steps a patient should take to ensure low risks and a speedy recovery. These include:
- Keeping a healthy diet before the procedure
- Begin a regular exercise routine in the weeks leading up to the surgery
- Stop smoking for at least two weeks before the surgery – smoking constricts blood vessels and reduces oxygen flow
- Discontinue medications such as aspirin, blood thinners, garlic supplements, green tea extracts, and any medications containing aspirin up to 5 days before the procedure
- Be sure to take at apply for leave from work and arrange a ride home from surgery
- Assemble all the supplies they will need during recovery
Patients may be asked to:
- Get blood tests done
- Adjust current medication
- Quit smoking – thus will help you heal faster and avoid complications
- Arrange for transportation
- Arrange for someone to stay with you the night of and after the surgery
Before the Procedure
The plastic surgeon will perform an evaluation of your labia which will include any limitations or previous injuries or surgeries.
Guidelines you will receive for preparing for the surgery include:
- Smoking cessation
- Medications to avoid
- When to take medications
- Proper washing techniques
- Restrictions regarding eating and drinking
- Staying hydrated
- Exercising and eating healthily
- Purchasing supplies to care for the incision
- Arranging for time off work
- Filling prescriptions for painkillers and other medications you might need following the procedure
What to expect from Chin Surgery
Patients are able to return home on the day after the procedure.
Anesthesia is used to numb the chin area along with sedation medication to help patients to relax.
The chin will be taped minimize swelling and discomfort. If an intraoral incision is used the sutures will dissolve on their own, and if the incision is under the chin the sutures will be removed 1 – 2 weeks after the procedure.
During the recovery patients will:
- Receive medication for pain, soreness, and discomfort
- Have swelling and numbness for a few weeks
- Be able to return to normal physical activity within 10 to 14 days
- Return to work in 10 days
- Resume strenuous activities after a few weeks
- Will the procedure hurt?
- We know that undergoing a life changing procedure such as this can be nerve racking and intimidating, and we understand. We believe that educating our clients allows them to assist us in making the best decision to suit their needs. So we put measures into place to ensure that our clients are calm, comfortable, and relaxed before, during, and after all our procedures.
- Our board certified plastic surgeons at Modern Surgical Arts of Denver use the latest in techniques and technology to minimize any discomfort that our patients may feel or worry about feeling. Most of the pain will be experienced following the surgery and going into recovery.
Risks of Chin Surgery
As with anything in life there are possible downsides to the use of Juvederm. Below are several side effects that you should take into consideration before making the decision to pursue the Juvederm treatment. We like to keep all out patients informed of the risks associated with the cosmetic procedures that we offer, allowing you to make a more informed choice. All clients are encouraged to ask as many questions with regards to the procedure as they deem necessary during the consultation, while our board certified plastic surgeons have years of experience under their belts the following side effects are unavoidable for some of our patients. While these are very rare at Modern Surgical Arts of Denver, the complications can be serious and permanent.
- Anesthesia complications
- Blood clots
- Implant movement
- Teeth damage
- Unevenness of the face
Benefits of a Chin Surgery
A chin augmentation can:
- Improve facial harmony
- Correct a weak chin
- Correct a recessed chin
- Improve definition of the jawline
- Improve the definition of the neck
- Reduce the appearance of a double chin
Preparing for a Chin Surgery
In order to make the procedure and subsequent aftercare more comfortable and less tedious, the following are recommended:
- Stop smoking
- Get lab tests or a medical evaluation done
- Adjust the medication you currently take
- Avoid blood thinning medications such as Aspirin, Motrin, Ibuprofen, and Aleve for at least one week prior to the procedure. It is always important to consult your doctor before the procedure if you are taking any of these for medical reasons.
- Avoid supplements for at least a week before the procedure.
- Avoid topical products or any anti-aging products for at least 3 days before the procedure
- Do not intake any alcoholic beverages for 24 hours before the treatment
Chin augmentation patients have relatively little downtime and can usually return to work and most daily activities in 7 – 10 days. Discomfort is normally minimal and can be easily be controlled by using pain medication or a cold compress.
Patients may need to:
- Sleep face-up, with their head elevated for 1 – 2 weeks after surgery
- Consume a liquid-only diet for 1 – 2 days after surgery
- Avoid strenuous activities for 3 – 4 weeks after the surgery
Results can be seen within a month after surgery and final results will be visible within 3 months when the swelling has subsided.
The surgery is permanent and while aging will affect the facial appearance in other ways the contour of the chin will not change. However, trauma to the face could damage the implant and require another surgery.
- Your doctor will advise you if and when you can restart your medication, and provide instructions on taking new ones.
- If antibiotics are prescribed take them as directed until the course is complete.
- Take pain medication as directed, if none is prescribed, enquire as to whether you can take an over the counter drug.
Who is qualified to provide perform Chin Surgery?
When seeking cosmetic treatment of any kind it is always important to ensure that your provider is a board certified health care professional like those on our team at Modern Surgical Arts of Denver.
Board certification lets clients know that their health care provider and their facilities are held at the utmost level of education, cleanliness, and quality. You ensure the best possible outcome for yourself when you choose an experienced and qualified health care facility.
How to Choose a Health Care Provider
Finding a good health care provider is an essential part of achieving the desired results with thigh lift surgery. Your plastic surgeon will lead you through every step of the process, from assessing your candidacy to monitoring your recovery so it is important that you choose experienced and highly qualified surgeons like the ones here at Modern Surgical Arts. We ensure that we provide doctors with the right personality and skills to ensure that your surgical procedures go smoothly and that our clients are satisfied after each visit.
However, if you are unsure which health care provider to go with there are a number of steps you can take to assist you in making a good choice. These include:
- Researching the plastic surgery boards’ and professional organizations’ databases.
- Asking for recommendations from friends, family, and acquaintances that have had cosmetic surgeries or treatments.
- Checking at online review sites like Google Plus, Yelp, or the Yellow Pages.
Why Choose Modern Surgical Arts of Denver?
Thanks to our vision of innovation and customer value, at our facility we are not only focused on the success of our business but on the comfort and satisfaction of our clients, our team members serve our clients with years of experience and dedication under their belts and we see each patient as an opportunity to allow an individual to leave our office being and feeling like the best version of themselves. We offer the highest quality treatments available and offer a variety of cosmetic procedures. Our staff pays special attention to each client ensuring that all your questions are answered and that we provide you with a positive experience.
Though our board-certified plastic surgeons provide you with all the information you could possibly need before considering undergoing a procedure, we encourage all of our clients and prospective clients to learn as much as they can about the services we offer and call us at any time at Highlands Ranch Office Phone Number 303-470-3400 to schedule a consultation, our friendly and experienced staff are always ready to help.