Thigh and Butt Lift
Proudly serving Denver, Littleton, Highlands Ranch and Nearby Areas of Colorado
For many people the upper legs become very problematic as we age, and for others the thighs remain stubbornly resistant to diet and exercise after losing a large amount of weight. The fat cells, cellulite, and excess skin that can accumulate makes people look heavier, older and less fit than they actually are and this leads many of us to feel self-conscious about our appearance and how other view us. Because of this we shy away form social activities or sports that may sometimes leave our thighs exposed and isolate ourselves from those we love. And while some people achieve good results with vigorous exercise and a healthy diet, some of us experience difficulty in getting rid of this stubborn fat and tone our thighs.
Fortunately, Modern Surgical Arts of Denver offers the ideal solution to achieve firmer and more attractive legs all through a simple procedure. There are multiple techniques available to our board-certified plastic surgeons, which allows them to customize the procedure to the specific needs of each individual patient.
Below you will find all of the pertinent information on the procedure. Clients are always welcome to contact us or schedule a consultation at any time to receive more information or to begin the process.
What is Thigh and Buttock Lift Surgery?
A Thigh Lift Surgery, or Thighplasty, is a surgical procedure that is designed to remove excess skin from the inner thigh, improving the thigh and buttock area. It is a procedure that is commonly performed in patients who have lost a large amount of weight and have loose sagging skin on the inner thighs. The procedure can tighten the skin but involves a scar that can run down the entire length of the thigh when a large amount of skin is removed. Shorter scars are used for less extensive amounts of loose skin. The appearance of the scar unpredictable but tend to fade with time.
Types of Thigh Lift Surgery
There are many different types of Thigh Lifts, all are differentiated by the size and shape of the incisions that are used. While these techniques provide a general guide for surgery, your plastic surgeon can make modifications to accommodate your unique shape and desired results.
The different types of Thigh Lifts include:
- Inner Thigh Lift – this type of Thigh Lift targets the inner thigh. This procedure helps those people who have trouble eliminating excess fat from the area of the body through diet and exercise.
- Mini Thigh Lift – this is ideal for those people who only experience sagging in the upper third of the leg and only involves a small scar in the groin area.
- Bilateral Thigh Lift – this procedure, sometimes referred to as an “Outer Thigh Lift” is designed to tighten skin on the front and outside of the leg. During this procedure the surgeon makes an incision at the top of the leg where the lower edge of where a bikini or a pair of underwear would be. Depending on your needs the incision can wrap around your hip or buttock area.
- Medial Thigh Lift – this reduces excess skin and fat on the upper portion of the inner thigh. It is designed for patients who are dissatisfied with the shape of their legs or those who want to remove excess skin after extreme weight loss.
Clients are always encouraged to ask clarifying questions and discuss with their doctor to determine which techniques would work best for their particular needs and preferences.
Who is a Candidate?
A thigh and buttock lift are ideal if:
- You have lost skin elasticity in the thigh, hip, and buttock areas.
- An area of your skin sags or has a dimpled appearance
- The appearance of the thighs improves dramatically when you lift the skin.
It is best for patients who are in otherwise good health, without diseases or serious pre-existing medical conditions. It is, however, not a treatment for obesity or a substitute for diet and exercise. Other requirements include:
- Maintaining a stable weight – if you have not yet reached your weight loss goals, losing more weight could cause your thigh tissue to drop further.
- Are in good general health – conditions such as uncontrolled diabetes could compromise your ability to recover without incident or safely undergo anesthesia or sedation.
- Do not smoke – this can interrupt the healing process and increase the risk for complications
- Do not drink heavily – this can also impair recovery and raise your risk of complication.
- Are psychologically healthy – the procedure can be both physically and emotionally taxing.
- Have realistic expectations
If you are interested in a Thigh and Buttock Lift, the first step is to visit us for a personal consultation with one of our board-certified plastic surgeons. At this time, you will have the opportunity to discuss your goals and the results you would like to achieve. They will work with you to reach an understanding about the results and risks to expect from the procedure and its long-term benefits. During this consultation you should ensure that you provide your doctor with your complete medical history.
About the Procedure
Our board-certified plastic surgeon will work with you during a consultation to determine if the procedure will be the most effective in achieving the desired results. To lift the thigh the surgeon will make short incisions that extend from the back of the thigh or groin crease around to the buttock area, if it is desired both lifts can be performed as separate procedures.
Pros and Cons of Thigh and Buttock Lift Surgery
In general the pros of having a thigh lift include immediate results as well as improved skin quality, appearance, and feel. The cons of the surgery include scarring, asymmetry, and possible additional surgeries to address any complications.
Preparing for your Surgery
After the consultation and making final decision for surgery, the doctor will provide you with pre-operative information and the surgical team will instruct you on how to prepare for surgery. You should also arrange for someone to drive you home and help you for a few days after the surgery.
Before the Procedure
The plastic surgeon will perform an evaluation of your thighs, which will include any limitations in range, motion, or previous injuries or surgeries.
Guidelines you will receive for preparing for the surgery include:
- Smoking cessation
- Medications to avoid
- When to take medications
- Proper washing techniques
- Restrictions regarding eating and drinking
- Staying hydrated
- Exercising and eating healthily
- Purchasing supplies to care for the incision
- Arranging for time off work
- Filling prescriptions for painkillers and other medications you might need following the procedure
Directly after the Thigh Lift
After waking up from the procedure, the incisions will be bandages and will most likely have drains in place to prevent blood and fluid from accumulating. Your surgeon will have placed you in a compression garment in order to hold the incisions in place. When the anesthesia wears off you may experience some soreness bit the painkillers that will be prescribed should assist in managing any discomfort you will experience.
Risks of Thigh Lift Surgery
There are side effects associated with every cosmetic procedure and we at Modern Surgical Arts like to ensure that all our clients and prospective clients are fully informed of all of the pros and cons associated with each procedure. This is not to alarm you, but rather, to assist you in making an informed decision with regards to which treatment is the best option for you.
A thigh lift tightens the skin but the scar can be quite visible and is considered major surgery. It does not correct loose skin on the calves, and may be noticeable where the newly tightened skin meets the calf.
Other risks and side effects of a Thigh Lift Surgery include:
- Unfavorable scarring
- Excessive bleeding or hematoma
- Tissue death
- Poor wound healing
- Wound separation
- Blood clots
- Anesthesia risks
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Cardiac complications
- Pulmonary complications
- Persistent pain
- Permanent or temporary loss of sensation
- Recurrent looseness or sagging of skin
- Skin discoloration
You should always contact your surgeon immediately if you experience chest pain, shortness of breath, excessive bleeding: Highlands Ranch Office Phone Number 303-470-3400.
It is very important to follow the surgeon’s instructions. This will promote healing an improve progress towards your physical appearance. Taking care of yourself after surgery is vital to achieving your desired results.
- During the first 24 hours after surgery you will need assistance performing regular activities, like cooking and going to the bathroom. You will need rest, and you should position you body to avoid stretching thigh tissue.
- Within two days after the surgery you are permitted to shower, carefully removing the compression garment and bandages to gently wash your thighs.
- Two to three weeks after the procedure most patients are able to return to work and can begin carefully sitting on their thighs; this is often done with the help of a pillow. Scars will appear more pronounced at this point but will begin to fade in the following months.
- Two to three months after surgery your scars should have faded, though they may continue to diminish in appearance in the following months.
- Six to twelve months after surgery the recovery process should be complete and you should be fully able to enjoy the results. You should continue to schedule follow up appointments during this time.
How to Choose a Health Care Provider
Finding a good health care provider is an essential part of achieving the desired results with thigh lift surgery. Your plastic surgeon will lead you through every step of the process, from assessing your candidacy to monitoring your recovery so it is important that you choose experienced and highly qualified surgeons like the ones here at Modern Surgical Arts of Denver. We ensure that we provide doctors with the right personality and skills to ensure that your surgical procedures go smoothly and that our clients are satisfied after each visit.
However, if you are unsure which health care provider to go with there are a number of steps you can take to assist you in making a good choice. These include:
- Researching the plastic surgery boards’ and professional organizations’ databases.
- Asking for recommendations from friends, family, and acquaintances that have had cosmetic surgeries or treatments.
- Checking at online review sites like Google, Yelp, or the Yellow Pages.
- Referrals from your general physician or specialists that you visit.
Though our board-certified plastic surgeons provide you with all the information you could possibly need before considering undergoing a procedure, we encourage all of our clients and prospective clients to learn as much as they can about the services we offer and call us at any time to schedule a consultation, our friendly and experienced staff are always ready to help! Highlands Ranch Office Phone Number 303-470-3400