Proudly serving Denver, Littleton, Highlands Ranch, Centennial, Aurora & Nearby Areas of Colorado
Pregnancy can often leave unwanted effects on the appearance such as stretching of the abdominal muscles, sagging of the breasts, and loose skin. And many new mothers can become discouraged when their bodies do not return to the shape and size it was pre-pregnancy, even while following a healthy diet and exercising. A mommy makeover can restore the appearance you desire and improve your confidence and self-esteem.
Before undergoing a Mommy Makeover, Modern Surgical Arts finds it imperative that you, our prospective clients understand what it is best for and what the treatment comprises of. Below you will find a range of information on the Mommy Makeover procedure; this along with a consultation will help you to decide if a Mommy Makeover is the best option for your needs. You can also visit our offices for a consultation and one of our board certified doctors will be on call and ready to assist.
What is a Mommy Makeover?
A mommy makeover is the term used to describe a set of cosmetic procedures that are designed to assist women in addressing the effects of pregnancy and child birth, aging of the breasts, face, and body by restoring pregnancy appearance.
How can a Mommy Makeover benefit you?
Every patient has their own personal goals when undergoing a Mommy Makeover; these can include one or more of the following:
- Correction of sagging of the breasts
- Restoring volume to the breasts
- Repairing a stretched nipple or areola
- Repairing a large nipple or areola
- Removing excess skin from the abdomen
- Removing sagging skin from the abdomen
- Repairing diastasis recti (stretched or separated muscles in the abdomen)
- Reducing pockets of fat
- Including the way clothing fits
When is the best time to undergo a Mommy Makeover?
Determining the best time to undergo a Mommy Makeover is heavily based on factors inclusive of the following:
- Must have fully recovered from childbirth
- Should wait several months after breastfeeding is finished to undergo the surgery
- It is better to wait until you are finished having children before doing the procedure
Procedures involved in a Mommy Makeover
- Vaginal Rejuvenation
- Tummy Tuck
- Breast Lift
- Breast Augmentation
- Buttock Augmentation
Who is a candidate for a Mommy Makeover?
You can be considered a candidate for a Mommy Makeover if:
- You do plan to have any more children
- You are in good health
It is best for patients who are in otherwise good health, without diseases or serious preexisting medical conditions. It is, however, not a treatment for obesity or a substitute for diet and exercise. Other requirements include:
- Maintaining a stable weight – if you have not yet reached your weight loss goals, losing more weight could cause your thigh tissue to drop further.
- Are in good general health – conditions such as uncontrolled diabetes could compromise your ability to recover without incident or safely undergo anesthesia or sedation.
- Do not smoke – this can interrupt the healing process and increase the risk for complications
- Do not drink heavily – this can also impair recovery and raise your risk of complication.
- Are psychologically healthy – the procedure can be both physically and emotionally taxing.
- Have realistic expectations
Mommy Makeovers can vary from patient to patient, and for more comprehensive results they can include with a number of procedures, inclusive of:
- Breast procedures
- Thigh lifts
- Butt lifts
- Arm lifts
- Full body contouring
- Tummy Tuck
During the initial consultation patients should be prepared to discuss the following:
- Goals for the procedure
- Medical history and current medical conditions
- Medications you are currently taking
- Previous surgeries or invasive cosmetic treatments
Your doctor will also:
- Evaluate your health and any risk factors
- Examine and measure the areas for treatment
- Take photographs
Risks of a Mommy Makeover
As with most cosmetic procedures there are possible downsides to the use of a Mommy Makeover. Below are several side effects that you should take into consideration before making the decision to pursue a Mommy Makeover. We like to keep all of our patients informed of the risks associated with the cosmetic procedures that we offer, allowing you to make a more informed choice. All clients are encouraged to ask as many questions with regards to the procedure as they deem necessary during the consultation, while our board certified plastic surgeons have years of experience under their belts the following side effects are unavoidable for some of our patients.
Possible side effects of a Mommy Makeover include:
- Poor healing of incisions
- Loss of sensation in the nipples
- Implant leaks
- Unfavorable scarring
- Recurrent looseness of the skin
- Fat necrosis
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Cardiac complications
- Pulmonary complications
- Persistent pain
- Fat embolization
- Contour deformity
- Inability to breast feed
- Cell lymphoma
- Reduce sensitivity in the genitals
- Blood clot
- Allergic reaction to aesthetic drug
Complications can include permanent scarring, abnormalities in vision, blindness, or stroke.
If you ever have any questions or concerns about the side effects of Juvederm whether before or after your treatment, please feel free to contact us, our friendly staff are waiting to assist you.
Preparing for a Mommy Makeover
In order to make the procedure and subsequent aftercare more comfortable and less tedious, the following are recommended:
- Stop smoking
- Get lab tests or a medical evaluation done
- Adjust the medication you currently take
- Avoid blood thinning medications such as Aspirin, Motrin, Ibuprofen, and Aleve for at least one week prior to the procedure. It is always important to consult your doctor before the procedure if you are taking any of these for medical reasons.
- Avoid supplements for at least a week before the procedure.
- Avoid topical products or any anti-aging products for at least 3 days before the procedure
- Do not intake any alcoholic beverages for 24 hours before the treatment
Other guidelines you will receive for preparing for the surgery include:
- Medications to avoid
- When to take medications
- Proper washing techniques
- Restrictions regarding eating and drinking
- Staying hydrated
- Exercising and eating healthily
- Purchasing supplies to care for the incision
- Arranging for time off work
- Filling prescriptions for painkillers and other medications you might need following the procedure
- Once a client has chosen Modern Surgical Arts for their plastic surgery procedure they are provided with a personalized consultation. This is where the doctor will assess the patients’ medical history to determine their candidacy for the abdominoplasty and put steps in place to reduce risks. It is very important for patients to remain honest and thorough when discussing their past and present medical history. Although medical conditions do not exclude patients from the procedure the doctor may need to take extra precautions to accommodate their health needs.
- Once the surgeon understands the patients’ needs, they can discuss the aesthetic goals for the procedure and determine the right treatment for the patients’ needs. It is a point of importance for clients to note that insurance companies do not usually cover cosmetic surgery that is performed without a medical reason, you should always consult your insurance provider before cosmetic procedures to be mindful on what procedures are covered and which ones are not.
Anesthesia is administered to the patient and the procedures that will be a part of your personalized Mommy Makeover are conducted.
After the procedure
Patients will need to rest for at least two weeks and should take time off of work for recovery. There are certain post-operative care tips that they should follow.
- Using antibiotic ointments to minimize irritation
- Do not touch the incisions more than necessary
- Avoid showering for 2 to 3 days
- Avoid direct sunlight
- Avoid tobacco products for at least 2 weeks following the procedure
- Avoid smoking for up to 2 months after the procedure
- Discuss any adverse side effects with your doctor
After a Mommy Makeover there will be bandages or gauze at the incision sites and an elastic support bra to minimize swelling and support the breasts. You should be able to return to work in as little as two weeks but this also depends on the procedures that were done. You may also be advised to wear a compression garment to minimize swelling in the abdomen, buttocks, and waist.
You may also receive instructions such as:
- Caring for the surgical site
- Medications you should take
- Problems to look out for
- When to schedule follow ups with your doctor
Ways to speed healing include:
- Reducing salt – salt increases water retention and promotes swelling
- Eating Protein – protein aids in healing and maintains muscle mass
- Staying hydrated – drink no less than eight, eight ounce glasses of water per day
- Avoid tight waistbands – these slow down the drainage of fluid
- Try to walk each day – bit by bit increase the amount you walk, this boosts blood flow and prevents pneumonia and constipation.
- Avoid strenuous activities such as bicycle riding, jogging, weight lifting, and aerobic exercise until the doctor says it is okay.
- During the first 24 hours after surgery you will need assistance performing regular activities like cooking and going to the bathroom. You will need rest, and you should position you body to avoid stretching thigh tissue.
- Within 2 days after the surgery you are permitted to shower, carefully removing the compression garment and bandages to gently wash your thighs.
- Two to three weeks after the procedure most patients are able to return to work and can begin carefully sitting on their thighs, this is often done with the help of a pillow. Scars will appear more pronounced at this point but will begin to fade in the following months.
- Two to three months after surgery your scars should have faded, though they may continue to diminish in appearance in the following months.
- Six to twelve months after surgery the recovery process should be complete and you should be fully able to enjoy the results. You should continue to schedule follow up appointments during this time.
The final results of the procedure will not be visible for several months. As time passes the implants will settle and the scars will improve, though never disappearing completely.
How to Choose a Health Care Provider
Finding a good health care provider is an essential part of achieving the desired results with thigh lift surgery. Your plastic surgeon will lead you through every step of the process, from assessing your candidacy to monitoring your recovery so it is important that you choose experienced and highly qualified surgeons like the ones here at Modern Surgical Arts. We ensure that we provide doctors with the right personality and skills to ensure that your surgical procedures go smoothly and that our clients are satisfied after each visit.
However, if you are unsure which health care provider to go with there are a number of steps you can take to assist you in making a good choice. These include:
- Researching the plastic surgery boards’ and professional organizations’ databases.
- Asking for recommendations from friends, family, and acquaintances that have had cosmetic surgeries or treatments.
- Checking at online review sites like Google Plus, Yelp, or the Yellow Pages.