Proudly serving Denver, Littleton, Highlands Ranch, Centennial, Aurora & Nearby Areas of Colorado
Having full breasts aren’t bestowed onto everyone. And if you had these earlier in life, you might lose them due to having a child, getting older, a medical reason or some personal reason. Tops don’t fit you the same or as well. You find yourself lifting your arms up in the mirror just to see what they use to look like, firm, perky and round. We get it, your breasts are important to you and how they look matter. You might not want fuller, perkier breasts for another person but simply for yourself.
Modern Surgical Arts of Denver provides a solution for this through our service known as breast augmentation. We provide expert care an ensure you are always informed and comfortable. This is a surgical service so be prepared for that in advance. We know that not everyone likes surgery, and this is not a decision you make lightly. With the right information, you can understand the pros and cons of surgical procedures. Read on to learn more about breast augmentation, how it works and if it is right for you.
You can always book a consultation with us where we can discuss this procedure with you and ascertain if this is the right one for you and your needs. We also offer breast lift if you believe that’s something more fitting for your goals. You can find out more about breast lift on this website if that’s the route you want to take.
What is Breast Augmentation?
Breast Augmentation (also known as or augmentation mammoplasty) improves the appearance, size, shape of the breast through surgery. Saline, silicone or other implants are inserted under the breast tissue to achieve this. A local anesthesia is normally required with this procedure, so you are usually not awake as this is being done. If you have any concerns about this, please share it with your doctor.
How is it done?
In theory, breast augmentation is a simple process. Your surgeon makes an incision around your nipple, under your arm or in the crease of your breast. Your surgeon will decide which area is best based on your needs. They will then separate the breast tissue from the connective tissue and muscles of your chest. Afterwards, the implant will be inserted in that gap and positioned properly behind your nipple so that it looks as if it was always there. That area will then be closed with stitches and bandaged for healing.
You can do additional research or peruse videos to see how it is actually done so you get an idea of the procedure. We want you comfortable and informed so that you can understand what your own procedure will be like should you decide to do breast augmentation. We are always opened to consultations so feel free to schedule one as soon as you’re ready.
How to Choose Implants?
When it comes to implants, there are several things you should consider before deciding. You can easily discuss with our certified surgeons at Modern Surgical Arts of Denver who’ll guide you as it relates to choosing your implant type. The elements to consider when choosing implant types are:
- Filler – Do you want implants with saline or silicone gel? Are you going for a more natural feel? What’s your age? What are the risks if the implants raptures? Modern Surgical Arts also offers a modern type of implant called structured breasts implants which feels like silicone implants but are actually filled with saline.
- Shape – What’s the reason for your implants? What shape are you going for – round or tear drop?
- Placement – What’s the best placement for your implants? It has been shown that submuscular placement provides easier mammograms and decreases your chances of scar tissues?
These are some of the questions you should discuss with your surgeon to decide which implants are best for you. Implants might have a different feel or look depending on the filler chosen as well as positioning and shape. At Modern Surgical Arts, our experts will definitely guide you so that you can choose the right fit!
Risks Associated with Breast Augmentation:
Every procedure has risks, surgical or non-surgical. Some less than some. It is crucial for you to know these risks. We encourage our patients and future patients to be informed of possible risks associated with breast augmentation. These include:
- Implants may rupture or leak. You may require a yearly MRI scan (for 2-3 years) to monitor this.
- Changes in breast sensation
- Changes in nipple(s)
- Scar Tissue
These risks/issues might require additional surgery to correct these. Note well that a possible a link between breast implants and breast implant-associated anaplastic large cell lymphoma (ALCL) has been identified by the FDA. It is said that the women with breast implant might have a low but increased risk of developing ALCL.
The information below might not be risks but is also necessary to know so that you can have a realistic expectation as it relates to breast augmentation.
Other Pertinent Information to Note:
- Breast Implants aren’t a guarantee against sagging.
- It might be more complicated getting mammograms.
- These implants might interrupt with breast-feeding.
- These are not guaranteed to last a lifetime.
- You might decide to have your implants remove and that requires additional surgery.
- You may find that breast augmentation is not covered by health insurance due to it being a cosmetic surgery.
Who’s a Good Candidate for Breast Augmentation?
As with all procedures, you being a good candidate for breast augmentation is dependent on several factors. Normally, a candidate in overall good health is required. That’s why a thorough medical history is necessary. Other factors to consider are:
- That you are not pregnant or breastfeeding.
- You don’t smoke or normally overindulge in alcohol.
- You don’t have an abnormal mammogram.
- You have not been diagnosed with cancer.
- You are healthy mindset wise when making the decision to do this surgery.
- For saline implants, The FDA requires you to be at least 18 years old and at least 22 years old for silicone implants.
- Your breasts are fully developed.
- You are committed to resting and self-care necessary to heal after surgery.
Breasts augmentation procedure is generally considered a safe procedure. But there are pre-requisites and risks one must be aware of before making that decision. Ensure that your surgeons are experienced, trained and certified as we are al Modern Surgical Arts of Denver as only those who know what they are doing provide the best care and service. Also, it is crucial that you have realistic expectations as it relates to the outcome of breast augmentation surgery.
After the Surgery:
We encourage all our patients and future patients to provide the best self-care they can prior to the surgery and after. We want you to be in the best shape of your lives and for that to happen, nurturing to self is crucial. Though this surgery doesn’t normally have you staying in the center for more than a day, after-care is very much necessary and top priority as it relates to healing and doing so thoroughly. Here are some after-care processes to be mindful of:
- You’ll be sore and will notice swelling for a few weeks post-surgery. These will eventually subside. Scars might not disappear completely. If you notice the soreness or swelling becoming worse, fever, redness, an infection and anything that worries or concern you, consult your doctor right away. Our surgeons at Modern Surgical Arts of Denver will provide pertinent contacts so that you can be assisted.
- Take your medication as instructed. Also, your surgeon will advise you what clothing type to wear as you heal. You might be advised to wear a sports bra, compression bandage that will support and help you with positioning the implants.
- You might need to follow-up to remove drainage tubes if these were used.
- DO NOT do anything strenuous or physical demanding for the first few weeks (or whatever length of time your surgeon advises you). You do not want to raise your blood pressure or cause any damage to an already sore site. Raising your blood pressure might cause you to bleed excessively. Be mindful of physical contact or how you move as it relates to your breasts. Ask someone in advance to assist with any heavy activity or errands or have those cleared before your surgery.
- Though light walking is normally advised, be careful not to cause any painful or harmful contact to your breasts as you want. Jumping is not advised or any activity that cause jarring.
- You may find that the best sleeping position is on your back.
- Do not soar the incision areas. That will only harm your healing.
- Protect the area from sunlight exposure, up to 24 months.
- Avoid any medication that increases bleeding before and after surgery.
Breast Augmentation Won’t Be Able To:
- If you are dealing with extreme drooping, then breast augmentation won’t be the right procedure fir you. You may want to consider a breast lift instead which is another procedure we offer here at Modern Surgical Arts. You can read about breast lift on this website and ascertain if it’s right for you.
Breast augmentation is a highly personal decision. We understand that you might want to take your time learning and processing what the procedure is like, the risks, the results and more. We encourage you to do your own research to learn more about breast augmentation as this is a life-altering decision. We ask that our patients and future patients note that breast augmentation doesn’t equate to perfection but can enhance appearance and make a difference in your life. You want to ensure that you are comfortable with this decision and not merely doing it to appease someone else.
At Modern Surgical Arts of Denver, we care about you and your well-being. Our certified surgeons provide expert advice and care. Booking a consultation with us gives you the opportunity to talk to an expert about this cosmetic procedure. Bring all your questions and concerns and let’s talk about it. From this consultation, we both decide if breast augmentation is the surgery you need or not. If not, there are other procedures we can look at to see if these will satisfy your goals.
Our support team is always ready and waiting for your contact. Feel free to reach out to our team anytime. We are looking forward to serving you. Do note that we have offer other procedures for other body parts and goals, you can peruse those on this website as well as do your own research.