Proudly serving Denver, Littleton, Highlands Ranch, Centennial, Aurora & Nearby Areas of Colorado
Have you ever found the perfect bra, bikini, or even that sexy little black dress but just didn’t have the breasts you want to fill them out? Us too!
You’ve tried ever remedy, exercise, scrub, and rub but just can’t seem to get that look you want for your upper half? This can cause major body image issues and put a dent in your self-esteem forcing you to shy away from that event you would just love to go to or wearing the blouse you want to get.
If you have been here then a Breast Augmentation/Breast Surgery may be just what you need to get those perfect breasts you have been dreaming of, and Modern Surgical Arts of Denver is here to help!
Before choosing to undergo Breast Surgery, Modern Surgical Arts of Denver finds it imperative that you, our prospective clients, understand what it is best for and what the treatment comprises of. Below you will find a range of information on the treatment; this along with a consultation will help you to decide if a Breast Augmentation is the best option for you. You can also visit our offices for a consultation and one of our board-certified doctors will be on call and ready to assist.
What is Breast Surgery?
A Breast Augmentation or Augmentation Mammoplasty is a surgical procedure that aims to increase the shape, size, or fullness of the breasts.
Modern Surgical Arts of Denver offers the following breast surgery procedures:
Why undergo a Breast Augmentation?
A Breast Augmentation can be done to:
- Enlarge breasts that are naturally small
- Restore the size and shape of breasts after pregnancy
- Restore the size and shape of breasts after weight loss
- Restore the size and shape of breasts after breastfeeding
If you have plans to have a child or lose weight a breast reduction surgery might have to be postponed as breast feeding will prove challenging following the procedure and weight can result in changes to the size of the breasts.
What are Breast Implants?
A Breast Implant is the medical prosthesis that is placed inside the breast to augment, reconstruct, or create the physical form that is desired.
There are three main types of implant, these are:
- Saline Implants – these are filled with a sterile saline solution, similar to salt water. The solution is held in an elastomer silicone shell and can be filled with different amounts of saline. If a saline implant leaks the solution will be absorbed by the body and expelled naturally.
- Silicone Gel-filled Implants – these consist of a silicone outer shell filled with a silicone gel. If this type of implant leaks the gel will either stay in the shell or escape into the breast pocket so it is important for patients who choose this implant to carry out regular checks with their doctors.
- Alternative Composite Implants – these may be filled with polypropylene string, soy oil, or some other material.
Who is a candidate?
If you are unsatisfied with the shape, size, and contour of your breasts then this procedure may be for you.
Breast augmentation may also help after pregnancy, weight loss, if you are unhappy with the size or droopiness of your breasts, asymmetry or unevenness in breast size caused by developmental problems, or breast cancer surgery performed in the opposite breast.
If you experience one or more of the following feelings or conditions then you may be a good candidate for Breast Augmentation:
- You are worried by the feeling that your breasts are too small
- Clothes that fit well around your hips are often too large at the bustline
- You feel self-conscious wearing a swimsuit or form-fitting top
- Your breasts have become smaller and lost their firmness after childbirth
- Weight loss has changed the size and shape of your breasts
- One of your breasts is noticeably smaller than the other
What to expect from a Breast Augmentation procedure?
A general anesthetic is usually used so that the patient is asleep during the surgery. There are different incision options available such as:
- Inframammary Incision – this is done under the breast
- Transaxillary Incision – this is done in the armpit
- Periareolar Incision – this is done around the nipple
The type of incision that is used depends on different factors such as how much enlargement is desired, the patient’s anatomy, the type of implant, and the preference of the surgeon and patient
The implant is inserted into a pocket. There are two types of placement for this:
- A submuscular placement – it is placed under the pectoral muscle
- A submammary/subglandular placement – it goes behind the breast tissue and over the pectoral muscle
The incisions are closed with layered sutures or stitches in the breast tissue. Stitches, adhesives, and surgical tape close the skin and keep it closed. At first, incisions will be visible but these will fade in time.
Benefits of Breast Reduction Surgery
- The breasts will be lifted and look firmer
- Bras will fit more comfortably
- The overall silhouette will be more balanced and attractive
- Clothes will fit better
Risks of a Breast Augmentation
Like any other medical cosmetic procedure Breast Surgery has risks, downsides, and side effects. We aim to keep all of our patients informed of the pros and cons associated with all of the procedures we offer, allowing you to make a more informed choice. All of our clients and prospective clients to ask as many questions regarding our procedures as they would like during their consultation. While our board-certified plastic surgeons have years of experience under their belts the following risks are unavoidable for some of our patients.
Some risks and complications associated with the procedure are:
- Rupturing or leakage of the implant
- Breast pain
- Poor healing of incisions
- Anesthesia risk
- Skin loss
- Skin discoloration
- Unfavorable scarring
- Recurrent looseness of skin
- Fat necrosis
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Cardiac complication
- Pulmonary complications
- Suboptimal aesthetic result
- Possible need for revision surgery
- Persistent pain
Having implants can also make it harder to find abnormal tissue or breast cancer.
Before the Breast Surgery Procedure
You should tell your health care provider:
- If you are or could become pregnant
- What medications you take, if any
In the days leading up to the procedure:
- You may need mammograms or x-rays before surgery
- You will be asked to refrain from taking aspirin, ibuprofen, and any other medication that make blood clotting difficult
- Stop smoking
On the day of the procedure:
- You will be asked not to eat or drink anything after midnight the previous night
- Wear or take loose, comfortable clothing
- Take a loose-fitting bra with no underwire
After the Breast Surgery Procedure
You will be able to go home once the anesthesia wears off and you are able to walk, drink, and use the restroom safely. A bulky gauze dressing will be wrapped around the breasts and chest or you may have to wear a surgical bra. Drainage tubes will also be attached to the breasts.
Your surgeon may recommend massaging the areas 5-7 days after the surgery. This helps reduce the hardening of the capsule around the implant. You should always consult your doctor before massaging implants.
Immediately after the procedure the breasts will be covered with gauze or bandages, and a tube may be placed under the arms to drain excess fluid and blood. You will also be prescribed pain medication and antibiotics.
The following steps will allow for aftercare to be more comfortable and less tedious.
In the first few days after the procedure:
- The breasts will be tender and feel sensitive
- The breasts may be swollen and bruised
- It might be recommended that you wear an elastic compression brazier to protect the breasts
- You will need to limit physical activity for at least two to four weeks
- It might be recommended that you avoid underwire bras
- Avoid lifting and physical exercise
- Sleep in an elevated position
- Maintain a balanced diet
- Stay hydrated
- Avoid baths
- Refrain from sexual activity
- Avoid smoking
- Get a lot of rest
- Eat foods rich in antioxidants, omega 3, and protein
You should contact your doctor at Highlands Ranch Office Phone Number 303-470-3400 immediately if:
- There are any signs of infection
- There is any unusual discharge at the incision site
- If any of the stitches come out before time
- Experience pain that does not stop after taking medication
- Your doctor will advise you if and when you can restart your medication, and provide instructions on taking new ones.
- If antibiotics are prescribed take them as directed until the course is complete.
- Take pain medication as directed, if none is prescribed, enquire as to whether you can take an over the counter drug.
- Try to walk each day. Increasing the amount bit by bit
- Avoid strenuous activities such as bicycle riding, weight lifting, and aerobic exercise
- Consult your doctor about when you can begin normal activities
As the anesthetic wears off the patient will receive pain killers. They will not be able to drive so they should arrange for a friend or family member to take them home.
Absorbable or dissolvable sutures tend to disappear within six weeks. If the patient does not have dissolvable sutures or if drainage tubes are inserted a follow up appointed will be needed to remove same. Breast implants do not last indefinitely, and it is very likely that they will have to be replaced at some time in the future.
After 1 or 2 weeks: Your stitches will be removed (unless you had dissolvable stitches).
After 6 weeks: You should be able to return to most of your normal activities. Your scars should also start to fade.
After a few months: Your breasts should start to look and feel more natural. You may be able to stop wearing your sports bra.
Why Choose Us?
When considering any type of cosmetic medical surgery, you should always look for a board-certified cosmetic surgeon with significant experience and training. At Modern Surgical Arts of Denver we offer just that – and with our qualified and highly trained staff, any procedure you undergo with us will leave you satisfied with not only your look but our service.
If you have any questions or concerns, contact our expert support team or schedule a consultation with our board-certified cosmetic surgeons. We provide several other cosmetic procedures (surgical and non-surgical) that you can peruse. There are several other services available for breasts such as breast revision, reduction, lift and more. If there’s a service that you would like and you are not seeing it here, let us know and we’ll let you know if it’s something we offer. We are looking forward to speaking to and serving you. Highlands Ranch Office Phone Number 303-470-3400